Top Tips for shooting abroad

L ast week I spent five days shooting in Santorini.  Having never shot abroad before there were a few things that I needed to consider befo...

Last week I spent five days shooting in Santorini. 

Having never shot abroad before there were a few things that I needed to consider before I shipped myself and thousands of pounds worth of equipment to the sunny greek island.


1. Insurance

This was a hard one, so I did my research online and there weren't many places that insured equipment, it was mostly 'gadgets'

So after I winged to my boyfriend we decided to ring our home insurance company up and see what they said. 

Turns out the best way to ensure your photography equipment is to add it onto your home insurance. I added mine on for £6 extra a year and it covered £2K worth of equipment for worldwide travel. Sorted! 


2. How to keep it safe whilst travelling

So this was another concern of mine... Because you never know what your luggage gets up to as soon as it goes on that conveyor belt.

I've got a little hard suitcase that I took for hand luggage and stored my cameras and laptop in it.

The only problem was when on the plane I could have really done with a little makeup bag or something to keep my essentials in - so make sure you take one! 


3. How to keep it safe when you get there

We had a slight problem when we were there that the safe was tinnnyyyy 

When I had a massive camera and mac book this wasn't ideal! My tip for this is find a good hiding place and make sure nothing is on show. if you've got your camera charger on show, someone is obviously going to search for your camera in the house. We hid our mac's in little trunks that they stored linen in and luckily we were ok! But obviously lock the doors! 

We had amazing time shooting in Santorini, the island was amazing and I managed to make it home with all my gear! Keep reading my blog to find out some amazing places to shoot, as well as see some of the work I did over there! 

If you have any questions about shooting abroad holla at me :)

Thanks for reading 
Pip x 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images